let's go get lost

,

[HELLO STRANGERS #01] We are All Family!

A friend may be waiting behind a stranger's face - Maya Angelou


It happened about 8 years ago (2012) at an airport in Bandung. I just graduated from senior high school and would pursue my bachelor degree. At that time, I was in Bandung to join the CAD national competition while waiting for SMBPTN result so I packed all my bags: 1 big size suitcase, 1 big size travel bag and 1 backpack, not for going back to Medan.

I was accepted in Udayana University, Bali. So, I took the flight from Bandung to Bali, alone. That was my first time going that far from home just myself. I have ever taken a flight before, I know the step from check-in until take off, but I don’t know how to react if something unexpected happens. And yes, that happened: my baggage was overweight! I had to pay more or my bags must be left at airport. I was panic. I was like I want to cry but realized that nothing will change if I cry so I decided not to. Well, I was just a teenager who was traveling alone :’D

While I was thinking, the officer saw my ID then a magic happened. She said, “Oh, are you Saragih?”

“Yes, I am.” I answered. Saragih is my family name. I am Bataknese.

“I am Saragih too!” She said, looking interested. “What will you do in Bali? Are you traveling alone?”

“I am going to college. Yes, I am alone.”

Then she kept her eyes on her right and left, and said “Okay, no need to pay for the overweight. This is your boarding pass.” She gave me a piece of paper with a smile on her face.
With happy face I took the boarding pass and said thank you to her and thank you to GOD.

Since then, I have always amazed how the strangers can be so kind to help us in an unexpected way. Like her, it was just because we have the same family name, and I know it means a lot to Bataknese people.

And I believe, there are still so many other nice strangers out there that will cross their path with us, or are we the strangers itself?


- January 2020
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment